Thursday, February 19, 2009

WARNING: RANT AHEAD

OK, I had this awesome blog planned about the new Pringles flavor, but that's going to have to wait because something torqued me off.

You know this "octo-mom"? I don't really care that she has so many kids or how she got them (since when is her medical record public knowledge? I thought there were HIPPA laws?) Anyways... everyone and there brother has an opinion about it, and well... I'm here to tell you mine....

1. No one should be able to regulate the size of your family except you and the father of your child(ren). So all these people who say that the doctor should be brought up on charges for doing this when she doesn't have money are wrong. Who's to say how much money is required to raise a child? Now if you say that the doctor should have seen to her other medical needs (including mental health) and that possibly the procedure itself was unethical, that's fine. But coming from someone who's done the whole infertility treatment herself, let me just say it's a business more than health care.

2. I should have the choice as to whether or not to donate money. I'm not saying we don't have a Christian duty to help mothers like her, or even a responsiblity as Americans. In fact I emphatically believe that we do have a responsibilty. But I can't say that anyone else has a right to take my money and decide who is the recipient of that charity. People do realize that the government doesn't actually have money right? It's yours and mine and everybody else's. If you think what this women did was wrong, don't give her money for it. If you think the doctor was wrong, well, don't vote for universal health care so he gets your money. But we aren't given the choice.

3. And once again, universal health care. Sigh. You realize we will be setting up this situation over and over again with that? How many other women would put themselves into the same position if they had the money. Don't worry, we'll pay for it for you! Then we'll give you money to raise the kids. Don't mind the fact that we can't afford to grow our own families because of the amount of money taken out of our checks in taxes....

4. If one more person tells me that it's not right for her to be living in a house with three bedrooms, I'll scream. OK, I'll grant you with her parents there it probably isn't unless the mom is sleeping on the couch. That's a bedroom for the grandparents, the mom, and only one for the kids. But guess what? Each child doesn't need their own bedroom, or heck, even their own bed. They don't need a ton of clothes, just clean clothing. They don't need name brand sneakers, just something to put on their feet that's in good condition. It's also not the parent's responsibility to provide their college education, it's a gift you can chose to give your kids. It's not easy to earn your way, but it can be done. As long as they have a roof over their heads, clean clothing on their back, food on the table, a chance at the basic educational requirements, and live in hygenic conditions, that's all the parent is required to do. (There's that whole love thing too...)

5. Imagine you (if you are male) or your significant other (if you are not) get a knock on the door and someone hands you a letter stating that you (or your SO) is the father of a child you didn't know about. And suppose the judge states that as the father you are required to pay child support and it's being garnished from your paycheck. Oh and btw you have no say over your child or their upbringing. (Granted this does actually happen...) Now the mother of that child decides to clone the child. Repeatedly. They decide you have to support all those children because a DNA test revealed you are the father. Now money is automatically being taken out of your paycheck to pay for children you didn't try to have, have no say over, and you can't control how many children there will be. But at least you got the fun part with the mother at the beginning. The rest of us are getting screwed in a different way, because money is being taken out of our paychecks and given to people to raise children and we have no say in how their raised or how many children they have.

6. Have you heard of Catholic Charities? Their purpose (among many) is to help out families in this exact situation. People CHOOSE to give their money to Catholic Charities. Families in need recieve services from Catholic Charities. It works. (There are others, I just can't think of any names...) The question was brought to me in argument, "Well they only have just so much money, what happens to families when they run out?" I responded, "Well the government only has so much money, what happens when they run out?" Oh the answer to that is simple, they'll take more from people who may or may not be able to afford it. Then those that couldn't afford it will be asking for help and drawing from that resource pool and the government will need more money and take more from people who may or may not be able to afford it.... Do you see?

I guess it all boils down to this. It's none of our business how many children she has, or how she got them because it's not our responsibility to raise them. But if it becomes my responsibilty to help her financially, then I want a say in the matter.

Sorry I'm in a cranky mood and this set me off... Pringles post coming tomorrow....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I was totally waiting on the Pringles post I will respond to your rant.I agree with everything you said,it's not our business.But I do think universal health care is a potentially good thing.We jsut need to iron out the wrinkles to ensure this doesn't happen to this extent on our dime.The only question I had to this was who paid for this if she's broke?Answer she did herself.Fine;)My only gripe is she just had 8 kids and tv people are trying to set her up on a date LOL Let the stitches heal for pete's sake;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of what you said. Her individual situation is no one else's business.

Being born so prematurely, these kids will always have special needs. We know that will be the case--it's just what happens when kids are born that early. Given that human women are not physically able to carry many children at a time to full term, the choice of the mother and of her doctor to implant them, and that said children will live all their lives with enduring health problems, how is this different than the practice (in some very poor countries) of a parent mutilating a child so that child can be a good beggar? How is it different from Münchausen syndrome?

If someone had naturally-occurring octuplets, I wouldn't hesitate to help both the parents and the kids. If it's done by using implants, the kids should be taken away from the parent(s) before they can do their children any further harm.

--Nancy

HermitJim said...

I totally agree with your assesment of the whole affair as stated in this paragraph;

"I guess it all boils down to this. It's none of our business how many children she has, or how she got them because it's not our responsibility to raise them. But if it becomes my responsibilty to help her financially, then I want a say in the matter."

That to me, says it best!

Thanks for the post!

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Oh boy! Now you've done it! Just get me going on this! I'm in total agreement with you. There's such a thing as responsibility - responsibility for yourself, responsibility for your actions, responsibility for the children you bring into this world. And that includes financial responsibility. How many kids you have, how you had them, how you raise them, what religion you teach them (or none), how you educate them, whether you live in 1 room or a mansion - all your business. But don't have them if you can't afford them and don't expect me to pay for them. If you can't afford them give them to someone who can. OK, deep sigh, gotta find some chocolate to help me calm down! -Sandy

Megan said...

And did you all see that her house is facing foreclosure because they haven't paid the mortgage in 10 months. OK- do the math... babies cook for nine months, they were born about a month ago....

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Maybe she can apply for federal aid under the bank bailout. Our tax dollars at work! -Sandy

Anonymous said...

I was searching for a good book to help me with my diet. In the end I googled it and found this site http://www.hungryforweightloss.com.

They are giving away a free ebook called "365 tips for healthy living". I didn't expect it to be any good because it's free but it's actually brilliant so I thought i'd share it here :)