Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Martha frickin Stewart

Let me just tell you right off that I can't friggin stand Martha frickin Stewart! I hate the commercial placement and the constant name dropping. I was devastated when the Hallmark Channel pretty much turned into the Martha Stewart Channel. I don't hold the whole jail thing against her, I mean, she's paid her debt to society so now it's between her and God. However after the things she said in my hometown I swear I would never watch her. Ever. EVER.

And yet I watched it...

You are now shaking your head and wondering about the DivaHick now aren't you? Well here's my thoughts on the matter, as politically incorrect as they are. Women turn houses into homes. It doesn't matter if you are married, single, have kids, have pets, or it's just someplace you fall into at night after working a 20 hour day. We crave comfort. We crave coherency and balance. I mean, you can watch Clean House and Hoarders where the rooms are piled full of cr@p, but underneath all those layers- you can find a decorating scheme.

Not to many years ago though, we made the decision that women were trapped into wanting to do that. We were being wasted by turning our attentions to home and hearth. Women should be doctors and lawyers and accountants and company presidents! And of course, we should. IF WE WANT TO! Martha Stewart's success lies in the fact that the schools pushed out Home Ec because CEO's don't need to learn it. The truth is, we do NEED to know home ec and even if we didn't there are so many, many women who WANT to learn it. We want to take care of our homes, even if we are also working 10 hours a day. (Although truth be told, no woman only works 10 hours a day.)

Don't believe me? Been to a Jo-Ann's lately? They're stuffed to the brim and doing an insane amount of business. Ask yourself why...

3 comments:

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

Yet another reason why I rock with a DivaHick. Couldn't have said it better myself... love it.

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Well said. Peace

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Actually I'm going for the unfinished look. It's the first decorating scheme I've actually pulled off. Martha would have a bird if she ever saw my place. We're on year 10 of our 5 year plan to finish the house. But hey, it works for us. Good post!